Wine Road weekend for overcoming worry
Posted in Good Ideas / Northern California Wine Country / Places | No Comments |
This coming weekend is the 14th Annual Wine and Food Affair on the Northern Sonoma County Wine Road. Wineries in more than one appelation in the area create a tasty bite made with one of their own vintages. Guests cruise to tasting rooms sampling and then go home with a cookbook of all the offerings. I’m looking forward the program despite that fact that it seems frivolous in the face of the events on the East Coast.
I’m counting on curative effects – the undying passion that these winemakers portray, even after the hectic weeks of crush will hopefully rub off on me. Also, a day away to reset my mind will help bring focus back to more serious matters. There’s only so far worrying and biting my nails can go. All I can really do to help is donate to Red Cross.
Wine Road couldn’t be a better spot for unwinding with a local bent and gourmet flair.
There are a huge number of highlights, I’ll name a few:
- Anything Medlock Ames, their biodynamic wines are hard to surpass. This weekend they’re serving a chocolate cupcake covered with salted caramel and a red wine drizzle.
- Quivira, another biodynamic winery (who just so happens to be the source of one of my favorite summer rosés), is highlighting a historic Sonoma artisan, Vella Cheese Company. Try Vella’s dry jack with zinfandel-braised pork.
- Gustafson is tucked away along Skaggs Spring Road, but the trip is well worth the vino, the view and the anticipated crab salad. Crab season does open today, so why not celebrate?
- I’m looking forward to trying J. Rickards Winery, too, a new one for me.
- And I’ll head to Local’s Tasting Room, too, unless slips through my fingers. It’s a good hub, plus they’re serving oxtails.